Training for Assistant Scoutmasters and Committee Members:
The following three course offer essentially the same form of training and a member only need take one of the course:
- Blackfoot: Blackfoot is an enhanced training program that combines the contents of Scoutmaster (SM) and Assistant Scoutmaster (ASM) Leader Specific training and Introduction into Outdoor Leadership Skills (IOLS) into one cohesive experience. Since Blackfoot follows the BSA nationally-recognized materials established for the two courses, the fundamental content is identical to one-day SM & ASM Leader Specific instruction and even the test-out option for IOLS. Blackfoot adheres to the EDGE principle—Explain, Demonstrate, Guide, Enable—and hence is an immersion experience that cannot be realized with abbreviated classroom style programs.
- Greenbar: This course has been designed to offer all of the basic training modules designated for Scoutmasters, Assistant Scoutmasters and Troop Committee members. The Introduction to Outdoor Leadership Skills (IOLS) portion of the course will help you learn all the skills that a Scout is expected to learn from Tenderfoot through First Class and beyond. The course is open to all Scouters, but is especially suited for Boy Scout and Webelos leaders. Scouters who complete the entire course will be eligible to wear their “Trained” strip for their position, and will receive recognition that they are a Green Bar graduate.
- Okama: Okama training fulfills the requirements for all Boy Scout Leader and Troop Committee fundamental training courses, in the recommended time: Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Specific Training, Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills, and Troop Committee Specific Training (will be offered to participants’ Committee at a time of their choosing). This enhanced course allows Parents, Scoutmasters, Assistant Scoutmasters, Committee Chairmen, Chartered Organization Representatives, Committee Members, Webelos Leaders and Den Leaders to “live” Scouting and learn by doing. It helps Webelos Leaders, Cub Leaders and parents to prepare early for their sons’ “Crossing Over” into Scouting.
Advanced Training for Assistant Scoutmasters and Committee Members:
- Wood Badge Wood Badge is an advanced, national leadership course open only to Scouting volunteers and professionals. Topics include Active Listening, Managing conflict, Leading change, Stages of team development, Coaching & Mentoring, Leadership for different stages, Servant leadership, Project planning and more. While it is preferable to have completed Blackfoot, Greenbar or Okama first, it is not required.
- National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT): The Simon Kenton Council offers three NYLT courses: NYLT, Nagatamen and True North. They are all the same curriculum. NYLT is an exciting, action-packed program designed for councils to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home troops and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others. The course centers around the concepts of what a leader must BE, what he must KNOW, and what he must DO. The key elements are then taught with a clear focus on HOW TO. The skills come alive during the week as the patrol goes on a Quest for the Meaning of Leadership. NYLT is a six-day course. Content is delivered in a troop and patrol outdoor setting with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided by the use of memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ the leadership skills much faster.
- NYLT Leadership Academy: The NYLT Leadership Academy trains youth staff to be top-notch presenters, evaluators, and leaders of their councils’ National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) courses. This intensive one-week course will improve course (NYLT) knowledge and problem-solving skills, which will help them run world-class NYLT programs.
- National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience (NAYLE): National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience is an exciting program that enhances leadership skills and expands upon the team-building and ethical decision-making skills learned in National Youth Leadership Training. NAYLE emphasizes leadership, teamwork, and selfless service, using the core elements of NYLT to help youth strengthen these skills. The NAYLE course is now available at all four national high-adventure bases. The material presented is basically the same at all four venues but is specific to the unique environment of each site.
All scouts must review Cyber Chip requirements related to their grade level